Earth Day is celebrated worldwide on April 22 each year - a perfect time for us to be more aware of our impact on the environment. As dog lovers, much of our time is spent enjoying the great outdoors so how can we give back to planet Earth? Here are 5 ways dog lovers can join the Earth Day celebrations:
- Stop using single use plastic items: This year's Earth Day campaign is focused on ending plastic pollution. If giving up all single use plastic is a difficult change, consider giving up one specific kind of single use plastic. Where to start? With many manufacturers now making eco friendly dog poop bags, now is a perfect time to make the switch to a more eco friendly alternative.
- Plant a tree: What dog doesn't love a tree? A simple way for anyone to participate.
- Recycle, Reuse, Repurpose: We are familiar with the phase but how can we embrace this as a dog loving community? Earth Day is a good reminder to be more informed about the choices we make as consumers. Consider your local op shop when shopping for your next dog toy; we have found many favourites here. Boutique dog business are now using re-purposed products in dog beds, dog apparel and dog bedding. It's great to see some product innovation in the dog industry such as a new dog rain jacket made from recycled plastic bottles recently released by the Finnish company, Hurtta. We hope to review some eco friendly products soon. Please let us know if you have any suggestions.
- Ditch the car: A recent Australian survey found most dog owners drive to their local dog park. Rather than getting in the car next time you go out for some exercise with your dog, why not explore your local neighbourhood on foot? Your next adventure could be just around the corner.
- Take up plogging: Plogging started in Sweden a few years ago and is a combination of jogging with picking up litter. Not only will you reduce plastic pollution but you and your buddy will also get a great workout.
We hope you have fun celebrating! Please be part of the change and share your ideas for celebrating Earth Day.